The best way to measure coil springs
Before you know what coil springs you need, measure them properly!
- Free Length. This is the length of the coil at its longest point outside of the vehicle. To measure it, lay the coil flat, put one end on an even surface at right-angles with coil.
- Open Strut Length or Trapped Length. This is the length of the coil when the vehicle is hoisted up and free load is off the spring.
- Static Length. This is the length of the coil in the vehicle with typical load.
- Inside Diameter. This is the width of the spring at its widest point, inside edge to inside edge.
- Total Coils. This is the combined number of complete turns from start to finish, including reductions.
- End Configuration:
- Normal - means not straight cut
- Ground - means ground flat
- Pigs Tail - means the end is reduced and will fit inside the coil
- iReduced - means the end coil will sit on top of the coil